First Presbyterian Church

For all of its 155 years, First Presbyterian Church of Arlington Heights has been a pillar organization of the community and a source of spiritual strength for its members.

Founded in 1855, when the pioneer town was known as Dunton, the church started with two dozen members. Membership climbed slowly until the 1950’s when it increased greatly and settled at about 1,600, which is its current level. The major building programs during the 155 years included: the original white frame building completed in 1856; the replacement brick structure, now the Chapel, which was dedicated on the same site in 1912; the Sanctuary in 1953; the Christian Education Building in 1961; and the Parish Center in 1995, which added a parlor, library, music practice space, offices and a grand entry.

We have had 25 senior pastors, the most recent—all remembered fondly by current members—include Victor Brown, Paul Stumpf (at left), James Martin, Harry Thompson and John McFayden.

During its recent history, First Pres has had especially strong Sunday school, adult education, music, and mission programs. For example, every February, for the past 27 years, we have sent a contingent of about 20 people to the Dominican Republic to help with health, agriculture, building projects, water purification, women skills and youth education.

Ceremony Site Information
First Presbyterian Church
302 N Dunton Avenue
Arlington Heights, IL 60004
847-255-5900
http://www.acswebnetworks.com/fpcarlingtonheights

Contributing Photographers
John Andrews Photography

Be Sociable, Share!