Archbishop Quigley Preparatory Seminary carries on the tradition of the Chicago Archdiocesan High School Seminary. The concept of the high school seminary was established by Archbishop James E. Quigley in 1905. He appointed Father Francis Purcell as Rector of the new Cathedral College of the Sacred Heart. Cathedral College began with fifty-two high school freshmen; and both the Archbishop and Rector determined that they were educating the city’s future priests. According to the founders, “those priests should never lose contact with their heritage, their families, their Church.”
In 1912, Fr. Purcell declared that the school was starting to make a name for itself; in the summer of 1915, Archbishop Quigley was failing in health and died on July 10.
Archbishop Quigley’s vision of a seminary system did not die – indeed it was reborn – in the imagination and administrative genius of Archbishop George Mundelein, the newly appointed Archbishop of Chicago.
Soon after his arrival in Chicago, Archbishop Mundelein announced plans for the building of a preparatory seminary at Rush and Chestnut. The school should serve as a memorial to Archbishop Quigley. In November of 1916, ground was broken, and the cornerstone of the seminary and chapel was laid at the corner of Rush and Pearson Streets.
Ceremony Site Information
St. James Chapel
835 North Rush
Chicago, IL 60611